Everyone living in Sweden for one year or longer must be registered with the Tax Agency. Registering, or being folkbokförd, means that you are officially listed as a resident of Sweden and can pay taxes. You will receive a personal identity number (personnummer) and be eligible for a Swedish identity card (id-kort). In addition to registering when you first move to Sweden, you must keep the Tax Agency informed if you move within Sweden, marry or divorce, or move away from Sweden.

Your personal identity number is an official number used to identify you in official Swedish databases, similar to a social security number or civil registration number in other countries. If you are staying in Sweden for at least a year, you will receive a personal identity number; those staying for less than a year receive a co-ordination number.

Share this Guide