Taxation & Payments


Everyone living in Sweden for one year or longer must be registered with the Tax Agency. Registering, or being folkbokförd, means that you are officially listed as a resident of Sweden and can pay taxes. You will receive a personal identity number (personnummer) and be eligible for a Swedish identity card (id-kort). In addition to registering when you first move to Sweden, you must keep the Tax Agency informed if you move within Sweden, marry or divorce, or move away from Sweden.

Your personal identity number is an official number used to identify you in official Swedish databases, similar to a social security number or civil registration number in other countries. If you are staying in Sweden for at least a year, you will receive a personal identity number; those staying for less than a year receive a co-ordination number.


Sweden is known for its technological innovation and payment is no exception. Many reports suggest that Sweden will become a cashless society in the next 15 years so navigating the payment systems here may be a bit different from those in your home country. We’ve compiled a list of advice and important tips when faced with everyday economic services and needs in Sweden as a newcomer.

Swedish Tax Agency's information about moving to Sweden from outside of the EU

Share this Guide